Attorney admissions
case information
Court information
Forms and manuals
Judge information and conduct
Jury and Naturalization Services
Local rules and standing orders
Representing yourself
No text
Other links

Entry of Default

Motion for Entry of Default

To request a Fed. R. Civ. P. 55(a) and LAR (c)(4) entry of default in an in rem action, file a Motion for Entry of Default along with an affidavit or certificate of counsel that:

The plaintiff may move for judgment under Fed. R. Civ. P. 55(b) at any time after default has been entered.

Notice Requirements

Under Local Admiralty Rule (c)(3)(a)(i),"[a] party seeking a default judgment in an action in rem must satisfy the judge that due notice of the action and arrest of the property has been given (1) by publication as required in LAR (c)(2); (2) by service of the complaint and warrant of arrest upon the Marshal and keeper, substitute custodian, master, or other person having custody of the property; and (3) by mailing such notice to every other person who has not appeared in the action and is known to the party seeking the default judgment to have an ownership interest.

The party seeking a default judgment must also attempt notice under LAR (c)(3)(a)(ii), if applicable under the rule.

Refer to LAR (c)(3) for additional information.