4. Party Information Screen
If you are representing the party, make sure the box in front of the party’s name and the check box for Notice are checked. By doing so, there is no need to file a separate Notice of Appearance. (If you are the lead attorney, you may also check the Lead attorney check box).
If you are filing a document jointly with another party such as a joint motion for extension of time, be sure all of the boxes are unchecked so you do not unintentionally enter your appearance on behalf of an opposing party.
5. Should Documents Be Sealed?
- No document needs to be sealed
- All documents should be sealed
- Some documents should be sealed; some documents should be unsealed
a. Prepare Document(s)
b. All Documents Should Be Sealed
c. Main Document Should Be Unsealed; One or More Attachments Should Be Sealed
- File the unsealed document (the main document) by selecting the same event you would use if none of the documents needed to be sealed.
- In place of the sealed document (i.e., Exhibit A), complete the Notice of Filing Exhibit or Attachment Under Seal sample of this document) as a placeholder for the sealed document(s). Attach it as an attachment to the main document.
- When prompted to indicate whether the document should be sealed or unsealed, click the Unsealed radio button, then click Next.
- After filing the unsealed document(s) and the placeholder(s) as explained above, file the sealed document(s) by using the event Notice of Filing Exhibit or Attachment Under Seal. (Click Civil on the top menu bar, then click Notices, then select Notice of Filing Exhibit or Attachment Under Seal).
- Attach the sealed document(s). The document will be automatically sealed. Electronic access to sealed documents is limited to specific court users that have sealed access.
- Unless there is already a Protective Order or an Order to Seal which allows this specific document to be sealed, you must also file a Motion to Seal this specific document. The Motion to Seal must be filed immediately after filing the sealed document.
Example – select the event Notice of Filing Exhibit or Attachment Under Seal. Attach Exhibit A (your sealed document). The document will be automatically sealed, so you will not be prompted to select “Sealed” or “Unsealed”.
d. Procedures Applicable to All Sealed Documents
e. Redacted Documents
- File the redacted version of the document using the event Redacted Document.
- File the unredacted version using the event, Unredacted Document. This document WILL NOT be sealed, but only case participants will have access to it.