You are here

Admiralty Cases

Article III, Section 2 of the United States Constitution and 28 U.S.C. § 1333 grant the district court original jurisdiction over admiralty and maritime matters.

As a supplement to the Federal Supplement Rules for Certain Admiralty and Maritime Claims, this Court has adopted Local Admiralty Rules.

Ship Arrest Information

In addition to the civil action filing fee, the following documents are required for filing a ship arrest: Civil Cover Sheet; Verified Complaint with Affidavit; Motion and Memorandum in Support to Arrest Vessel; Motion and Memorandum in Support for Appointment of Substitute Custodian with Affidavit, if needed; Proposed Order to Issue the Warrant for Arrest, Proposed Order Appointing Substitute Custodian, if needed; Warrants for Arrest in Rem, and U.S. Marshal Form 285.

Ship Arrest Contacts

Clerk's Office
(410) 962-3854
After Hours: (443) 463-9417

U.S. Marshals Service
(410) 962-2220
After Hours: (410) 962-2221

Entry of Default in In Rem Actions

Motion for Entry of Default

To request a Fed. R. Civ. P. 55(a) and LAR (c)(4) entry of default in an in rem action, file a Motion for Entry of Default along with an affidavit or certificate of counsel that:

  1.  Notice has been given as required by LAR (c)(3)(a)(i); and
  2.  Notice has been attempted as required by LAR (c)(3)(a)(ii), where appropriate; and
  3.  The time to answer by any person asserting a right of possession or any ownership interest in the property has expired; and
  4.  No answer has been filed and no one has appeared to defend on behalf of the property.

The plaintiff may move for judgment under Fed. R. Civ. P. 55(b) at any time after default has been entered.

Notice Requirements

Under Local Admiralty Rule (c)(3)(a)(i),"[a] party seeking a default judgment in an action in rem must satisfy the judge that due notice of the action and arrest of the property has been given (1) by publication as required in LAR (c)(2); (2) by service of the complaint and warrant of arrest upon the Marshal and keeper, substitute custodian, master, or other person having custody of the property; and (3) by mailing such notice to every other person who has not appeared in the action and is known to the party seeking the default judgment to have an ownership interest."

The party seeking a default judgment must also attempt notice under LAR (c)(3)(a)(ii), if applicable under the rule.  Refer to LAR (c)(3) for additional information.

Newspapers of General Circulation Pursuant to LAR (c)(2)

  • The Baltimore Sun
  • The Daily Record
  • The Washington Post