You are here

Naturalization Frequently Asked Questions

How Do I Replace My Certificate of Naturalization?

If your certificate has been lost or stolen, you must apply for a new document. This is done by filling out an N-656, Application for Replacement Naturalization/Citizenship Document. This form can be found on the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website For additional information, contact the USCIS at (800) 375-5283.

How Do I Visit a U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Office?

In order to visit the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office, you must have an appointment scheduled with USCIS If you were naturalized through the Maryland office, but now live out-of-state, you should use the USCIS office in your new state, not Maryland. To find the USCIS office closest to you, please call (800) 375-5283 or visit the website

How Do I Replace a Petition for Name Change?

The Court maintains copies of Petitions for Name Change dating back to 1992. Copies may be obtained in the Clerk’s Office, Baltimore location, from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. In making your request, you must provide the date you were naturalized in order for us to find your Petition. (This information is on your Certificate of Naturalization.)  A request form can be found here: Request for Name Change.  

Records of name changes dated prior to 1992 can be requested through the National Archives branch in Philadelphia. Their phone number is (215) 305-2044.

How Do I Research Naturalization Records?

Contact the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services at (800) 375-5283.

To obtain proof of derivative status, you should research parental records. A parent’s Petition for Naturalization should include the names of their minor children at the time of naturalization. The parent’s Petition will be considered the child’s proof of citizenship.

When Will My Naturalization Ceremony Take Place?

Approximately two weeks prior to the ceremony, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service will send you a written notice with the ceremony location, date and time to report.

Naturalization ceremonies are held regularly in both the Baltimore and Greenbelt courthouses. You are welcome to bring guests with you and, on this occasion, cameras are allowed in the courtroom.

If you need to re-schedule a ceremony, please contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services at (800)-375-5283.

How Do I Obtain a Passport?

The Court does not issue passports. Passports are issued by the U.S. Department of State, and passport applications are available at a U.S. Post Office, a Regional Passport Agency, a U.S. Embassy or Consulate, or online.