Senior District Judge Frank A. Kaufman was born in 1916 in Baltimore, Maryland. Receiving a B.A. from Dartmouth College in 1937 and an LL.B. from Harvard Law School in 1940, Judge Kaufman rose to early prominence for his article in the Maryland Law Review on ground rents. Following the outbreak of World War II, Judge Kaufman served as a Lend Lease representative from 1941-1943 and a Chief in the Psychological Warfare Division from 1944-1945.
In the postwar years, Judge Kaufman worked as an associate at Frank, Sheen, & Oppenheimer, becoming partner in 1947. Judge Kaufman was appointed by President Lyndon B. Johnson as a District Judge in 1966, and he became Chief Judge in 1981. In 1986, Judge Kaufman passed chief judgeship to Judge Alexander Harvey II and assumed senior status. He served as a senior judge until his death in 1997.
Judge Kaufman was active member of the Board of Governors of the American Bar Association, Governor’s Management-Labor Relations Commission, and Baltimore Hebrew Congregation. He also taught for many years at the University of Baltimore Law School and University of Maryland School of Law.