6. Add Documents
You cannot proceed any further until you have attached a main document.
Reminder: When filing more than one document each document must be a separate PDF.
If you are filing more than one document, the other documents must be added as attachments and each document must be a separate PDF file. For example, you must have a separate PDF file for each of the following:
- Motion to Stay
- Memorandum in Support
- Proposed Order
- Exhibit A
- Exhibit B
To attach a PDF document you can either enter the path and filename of the document using the PDF extension in the Filename field, or you can click on the Browse... button and follow the instructions below.
a) Add Main Document
- Click the Browse... button under Main Document and the system will display the Choose file window.
- Change the Files of type field at the bottom of the window to All Files (*.*) or Acrobat (*.pdf) so you can view PDF documents.
- Navigate through your directories and folders by clicking on either the down arrow at the right of the Look in field or the up one level icon to the right of the field.
- Once you have located the PDF document you wish to file, you should view the document to verify it is the correct one by right clicking on the file name. A menu will open. Click either Open or Open with Acrobat.
- This will cause the system to launch Adobe Acrobat Reader and display the contents of the document. Close Acrobat Reader by clicking the X in the upper right corner. This will return you to the Choose file window.
- Once you have located the correct document, click the Open button in the lower right corner of the Choose file window. The system will then insert the path and file name in the filename field next to the Browse… button.
b) Add Attachments
- To attach additional documents, click the Browse… button under Attachments and follow steps 2) through 6) above.
- After adding an attachment, you must choose a category from the drop-down list and/or enter a description of the attachment. It can be useful to use descriptive labels when there are multiple attachments. Whether you select a category listed or enter a description on your own, both will display in the final docket text. Therefore, do not repeat the same text in both places.
- If you make a mistake and add the wrong attachment, click the Remove button to remove it.
- Continue doing this until you have added all attachments. Then click Next.
7. Link to Other Documents
Depending upon the type of document you are filing, the system may offer you the chance to link your document to another document previously filed in the case. Creating a link will cause the system to reference the other document in the docket entry.
8. Docket Text
The system will display the text of the docket entry which will be made.
9. Final Docket Text
The system now displays the final text of the docket entry along with a warning that clicking Next will file the document. This page will also provide the name of your attachment and the number of pages.
10. Notice of Electronic Filing (NEF)
The system will now display a Notice of Electronic Filing (NEF). This is proof the document has been filed. You should save a copy of this notice and can print a copy by clicking on your browser’s print button. You can save an electronic copy by clicking on File and then Save As on your browser’s menu bar.
a) Service on Registered CM/ECF Users
If the Notice of Electronic Filing (NEF) lists counsel for a party under the heading “Notice has been electronically mailed to”, this is the equivalent of electronic service subject to the provisions of Fed. R. Civ. P. 5(b) and Fed. R. Crim. P. 49.
b) Service on Parties Not Registered to Use CM/ECF
If the NEF lists a party or counsel under the heading: “Notice will not be electronically delivered to,” the filing party must serve the document in accordance with the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure within 24 hours of the electronic filing. The filing party must serve a copy of the NEF with the document. For any document served on a party by means other than the CM/ECF system, the filing party must file an electronic version of the Certificate of Service attached to the document. A blank Certificate of Service is available as a form on our website.