You are here

The Filing Fee

Under federal law, all civil actions have a filing fee of $400.00. You can pay the filing fee by cash, credit card, check or money order.  Checks and money orders must be payable to "Clerk, U.S. District Court."

If you believe you are unable to pay the filing fee, complete an Application to Proceed In Forma Pauperis and submit it along with your complaint. Additional information is also available in the Instructions for Filing a Civil Action on Your Own Behalf.

A judge, not the Clerk's Office, will review your request and determine whether you qualify to file your case without paying the full filing fee.

Nothing in these links or tutorials should be viewed as legal advice.